Design Project – Daily Dishonesty Poster
As students continue to increase their skills and knowledge of design and typography, the class delved into learning about typographic color, contrast, & scale. This project coupled those concepts with an introduction to graphic design styles and students were tasked to create a “Daily Dishonesty” Poster. This poster was to be an homage to those little lies we tell ourselves just to make it through the day. This sentiment was to expressed using the power of design and typography.
- ISTE: Creativity and Innovation
- ISTE: Communication and Collaboration
- ISTE: Critical Thinking, Problem Solving, & Decision Making
As a class we went over typographic color, contrast, & scale with a presentation. This included several videos and a basic introduction of the graphic design styles they could use in their project. Students were then introduced to the project. Students began by using the project working doc to brainstorm quote ideas, choose their graphic design style, and created their Pinterest visual research board.
Students then watched the project tutorial and downloaded the project template. Each student had to use typography, basic shapes, color, and patterns but no photographs to create at least three versions of their poster.
Students were instructed to experiment with creating one version with some part of the statement scaled up and one version using the idea of contrast with a few keywords. Each student then added their work to the Presentation Critique.
Before the critique we read “How Art Changes Consciousness” and discussed the relevance to our class. We then went over how to use the “crit cards“. These are cards that I created that are prompts for giving feedback during a critique. We then had a critique session where students were expected to talk about their process and intent and their fellow students were randomly picked to use their crit cards to give feedback or ask questions about the work.
- Project Video Tutorial
- Typography: Color, Contrast, & Scale Presentation
- Graphic Design Styles Cheat Sheet
- Graphic Design Styles in more detail
- Project Exemplar
- Daily Dishonesty Working Doc
- Daily Dishonesty Project Illustrator Template
- Daily Dishonesty Critique with Student Work Exemplar
- Crit Cards
- Reading – How Art Changes Consciousness
- Bauhaus: Design in a Nutshell Video
- Postmodernism: Design in a Nutshell Video
- History of Graphic Design Avant Garde Video
- Random Name Picker
- Article – Going Retro: How to Bring New Creative Life to Your Designs With Retro Design